Black Bean Salad
Created by: Executive Chef Kevin Hermann
1st Prep Time: 12 hrs, soak the beans in cold water
Cook time: 45 mins
Final Prep time: 25 mins
2C Black Beans, Dry
1ea Onion, Peeled and Split in Half
3ea Garlic Clove, Peeled Whole
1ea Carrot, Medium Sized, Peeled, Cut in Half
2ea Celery Ribs, Rinsed, Cut into Thirds
1C Ramps, Rinsed, Chopped Fine
1/2C Bok Choy, Rinsed, Julienne
2T Mint Leaves, Rough Chopped
1/2C Red Bell Pepper, Small Dice
1/4C Feta Cheese
1T Sherry Vinegar
2T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Salt & Black Pepper
1. Begin by soaking your dry black beans in the refrigerator overnight in cold water. Be sure to put them in a container that will allow the beans to be submerged by 3 inches of cold water.
2. After the beans have soaked overnight, add them, along with the liquid, into a medium sized soup pot with the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and 2T of kosher salt. Fill with water until submerged by 1inch of water. Simmer over medium heat for 25-30 mins. Stir occasionally.
3. Once beans have become tender, strain off the cooking liquid and remove the cooked onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
4. Place beans in a mixing bowl large enough to hold all of the salad ingredients.
5. Add remaining ingredients to the cooling beans and gently mix.
6. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Serve warm as a side to grilled fish or chill and serve over a bed of baby spring lettuce.